Monday 16 November 2009

Week 46: This week, dig your own grave

So, I finally did one of my tasks assigned to me by 'This Diary Will Change Your Life 2009' this week. I did indeed dig my own grave!

Well, I kind of pussied out. But these tasks are about thinking outside the box anyway. But then, I suppose, I thought inside the box this time. A box... OF ASHES!!! Yup, I realised that I don't want to be buried anyway, I would either like to be cremated, or, if I die of a mysterious, rare illness such as eyebrow cancer, have my body donated to science.

But assuming I want to be cremated, I decided I would dig a hole big enough to fit my ashes in. This is a true, and morbidly funny story; My Grandma from my Dad's side was a big fan of Ipswich Town Football Club, so she was buried under the football grounds. Thing was, her ashes were in an egg box, with sellotape around it. I'm not quite sure why the ashes were in an egg box, but we all found it amusing, despite the sadness of her death. She would have laughed too, because she had a great sense of humour. And without trying to derail this entry, I've been thinking about her a lot lately, and I really miss her. But I will save that for another time, because I don't want was intended to be an amusing article to be horribly depressing. I love you and miss you, Grandma, R.I.P.

Sorry about that. It all just came into my head, and I just wanted to write it down. Damn my stream of consciousness! Plus, I'm listening to a horribly depressing song right now, probably didn't help. Anyways, on with the grave digging! Anyways, as a tribute to my Grandma, I decided that my 'grave' would have to be the size of an egg box, roughly. And an egg box would be roughly the size of my shoe, give a few inches. So, I dug a hole in the back garden (with Mum's permission of course), and made sure it was big enough to fit my shoe in. Despite it being a tiny, tiny hole, digging was fucking hard work. But I kept at it. And now my grave is in my own back garden! I also took photos, just in case no one believes me, but there is no space on my computer, so I haven't been able to upload them. Sorry!

So yeah, I didn't follow the Diary's instructions explicitly. I didn't, consider the spade to be used, or wear proper boots, or lie in my own grave with a notepad, reflect on my own life and think about to do with the rest of it. Lying in it would have been a physical improbability too, but I did, theoretically, have one foot in the grave (see what I did there!) But I dug my own grave. So I actually did a task for once. Go me!

2 comments:

  1. Just wandering... how do you derail a thread when writing a blogpost? =s

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, sagely observed! ;) I'm used to derailing threads, guess it entered my everyday lingo =p Will edit that now...

    ReplyDelete