Tuesday 24 November 2009

Week 48: This week, make friends with an insect. Monday - Catch your insect

YASSSSS!!! I've been looking forward to this week. Why? Well, I get to make friends with an insect! YASSSS!!!! I've been a lifelong friend to the insects - I often attract little 'fwiends', as I like to call them. Usually they're flying insects. But still. I just liked the idea of being friends with an insect.

Plus, the picture of the caterpillar on the page is fucking adorable!

Also, this is a task which seperates out smaller tasks onto seperate days, which I liked. So this is Monday, where I was simply required to catch my insect fwiend.

I initially wanted to make friends with a caterpillar, simply because of the adorable caterpillar in the Diary. However, I realised that caterpillars don't often come by these parts, so would be quite a challenge to find. Before I went about catching an insect though, I had to make sure it had a little house to stay in. I needed something small, and air-holeable (yes, that is a real word. I insist it is). I decided a cigarette box would be a good size, roughly. So I used a cigarette box. I don't smoke, but I still had the cigarette box left over from chain-smoking during Ugly Week, which I never blogged about. I gave the insects new house some airholes by using a needle and some pinpoint (see what I did there? Eh? Eh?) precision. I intended to keep the top of the box usually open anyway, but I didn't want my insect escaping at night time. Also, I sprayed the box/house with deodorant to make it smell nice, but this didn't last long. It still smells fucking horrible. But I tried. The house also has a picture of lung cancer on the back, which isn't all too pleasant. I'm sorry little fwiend, if I can find you a better house you will have a better house!

Finding an insect was the tricky part. I found but two in the house (my house, that is, not the insect's house) - a dead-looking spider in the living room, and a weird-looking spider in the kitchen. I decided to go for the dead-looking spider, as it seemed slightly safer. It's worth knowing that I'm mildly scared of spiders. Not overtly so, but big ones definitely freak me out. Fortunately, this one was tiny. It was really fucking high up though, so it took some effort to get it down. After multiple failed attempts I ended up using one of those squeezy robot arm toy things (I'm good at descriptions) to get it down. I inhabited it safely in it's home, and... well. Didn't do much with it. It was curled up into a ball and didn't do anything. Yup, it was dead.

However, a saving grace came along when I saw a nice, slightly big spider crawling on the front door later that night. YASSSS!!! So I scooped up the little fella. It seemed scared at first, and refused to come out of a ball. However, it definitely wasn't dead. I feel like I didn't make the best first impression, I should have been more gentle, but was mildly scared. But then, that's one of the purposes of this activity, to become friends with something that is not initially likeable.

But I would never befriend a slug. No way. Seriously, fuck slugs and all that they stand for.

But you're not a slug, lil' spider friend! And I promise I will be more gentle with you and learn to love you! In fact I'd already grown slightly attached. I tucked my eight-legged friend up (so, kept it in it's box, basically), and even said goodnight and blew it a kiss.

I think this could be the start of a beautiful friendship...

No comments:

Post a Comment