Friday 11 December 2009

Test the state's sense of humour today

I actually did this over the course of three days, but I'm not good with bonus tasks...

So, this task, 'Test the state's sense of humour today', involved me simply writing a letter to the state saying that I am planning to overthrow them, but that I will give them a chance to surrender. With full name and address written below. Sending it to 10 Downing Street. Simple, right?

Well, yes, very simple. But I'm a bit of a pussy, to be honest. Testing someone's sense of humour is all fair and well (within limits), but testing the state's sense of humour with the threat of a coup? Seems a little bit dodgy. They could think I'm a terrorist, come to our house, search through all our shit, find something mildly suspicious (I dunno what, but you never know, this is why I pussied out, I assure you I own no terrorist paraphenalia though!), arrest me, interrogate me, 'search' me (the hand-up-the-arse kind of searching), etc. etc. So, whilst this is the unlikeliest of scenarios, you can just never know, especially if they DID believe the letter and sent the country into a state of panic.

At first, I really did think I was gonna proper go for it, full letter and all. On Tuesday, I wrote the letter. A good start! I didn't have a stamp though, and forgot to get one, so didn't send it off today. Instead, I went to the cinema to see 'A Serious Man'. It was amazing. That night, I watched 'The Unborn'. It was God fucking awful.

On Wednesday, I bought a first-class stamp and got an envelope - major steps in the act of letter sending! I was unsure as to whether to send it or not, but seeing as I'm a bit out of whack with reality sometimes, I decided a second opinion would be better. And a third, fourth, fifth, etcetera, opinion whilst at it. I asked Meg. She was unsure. I asked Mum. She was unsure, although she did think more than anything that the letter would just be ignored and discarded. I asked Jay and Kate (after we watched an awesome episode of 'True Blood' - that show gets better and better!). They were also unsure. So, general consensus? I think everyone was unsure. So I pussied out. I decided I'd find a way around it.

My first idea was to grab some crayons, write it all up really scrappily, then give a false name and claim my age as 8 on the letter. It seemed like a funny idea, and I was gonna go through with it, but I had another idea, which I thought would be more likely to get me an answer.

On Thursday I wrote up my new letter. Here it is, in it's entirety (okay, that's a lie, I've hidden my address, but still);

Dear Mr. Brown

Thank you for the taking the time to read this. I am currently writing a satirical screenplay for part of my dissertation on my Honours degree course (and don’t worry, I go easy on the state, it’s just a theoretical piece of fiction), so would like to ask a slightly strange, but no less important, question. Answering this would be helpful to writing the critical review for my piece.

Theoretically, if someone were to write jokingly to you saying that they were planning to overthrow the state and that they would give you a chance to surrender, giving their full name and address, but it wasn’t made clear that they were joking, what would the response be? Would the country be sent into a state of panic? Would the letter-writer be interrogated immediately? Would it be regarded as an obvious joke and immediately discarded? Or none of the above?

Hope to hear from you soon, thank you in advance.

Sincerely,
James Small


Okay, so this is complete and utter bullshit. I'm not writing a satirical screenplay as part of my dissertation. Hell, I'm not even doing my dissertation yet (though I would be if I hadn't fucked up my second year, but still). I'm against lying, but this was an extreme circumstance! I figured it is more likely to get my required answer than the crayon idea. And less likely to get me interrogated than the original plan.

Just hopefully they don't find the question suspicious, look up all my vital info, and find out I'm not doing my dissertation. Suspicions may be abound! Unlikeliest of scenarios though...


Update on 'This week, make friends with an insect';
I finally buried Shelly. R.I.P. Shelly. Yes, I did have her corpse in my company for that long. Disgusting, I know. To be fair, I totally forgot about her, which is a good sign of closure from her death, I think! And hey, it is 'Closure Week' after all...

1 comment:

  1. Best blog entry to date, me thinks ;]
    Love the letter to Gordon Brown, inform me immediately of correspondence! I would be scared too! Everybody is so obsessed with terrorists, i'd be scared of interrogation/arrest/body cavity searches/shipping to Guantanamo Bay etc. =P
    R.I.P Shelly, the best spider that ever lived.
    xoxox

    ReplyDelete