Saturday 19 December 2009

Thursday: Discreetly knock light bulbs in other people's homes to break the filament

Fortunately for the state of other people's lighting resources, I didn't strictly speaking go to anybody else's homes but mine today. If I had have gone would I have broken their bulbs? I'd try. And try I did.

But I didn't go to anybody else's home? No, but I did go to Uni that day. Uni isn't someone's home exactly, although it could be, the Waterfront building is actually open 24/7, so if I'm ever kicked out of my house I'm totally crashing there. In fact, I may exploit this for the day where I have to be homeless next year... But, as it is, I'll save that for next year. Must not think too far ahead! Anyways, light bulb breaking. I figured the Uni would be a good place to do this, as I wouldn't have too much of a guilty conscience on my hands, seeing as their are many, many lights in the building. But, alas, all the bulbs in any of the lecture rooms were hidden underneath big sheets of plastic. I know this because, not only did I have a screening as part of my course (where we watched 'Trainspotting', one of my favourite films!) and I observed the lighting in that room, but I also had a peek around the building, looking in empty rooms (the doors are never locked here, they're begging to get stuff nicked) after the screening.

I stayed at the Uni after the screening to do some of my intense amount of essays, and at one point, as one would suspect being somewhere for a few hours, nature called. Yes, it seems I spend a lot of my time tasking this week in the Uni toilets. I looked at the lights, and I thought that they would probably also be covered by plastic, but I decided to have a closer look. Hallelujah! No plastic cover, just pure light bulb based goodness (a sentence I never thought I'd write). But then another problem arose. I had no objects with which to break the light bulb with.

Actually, that's sort of a lie. I decided to use a can of deodorant that I had in my bag, it was the heaviest thing I had, short of my own body or the bag it was in. I was slightly terrified that the bulb would shatter, and a piece of glass would shred through the deodorant, spraying me with the solvent. But this didn't seem likely, so I went ahead with it. Unfortunately, it DID shatter, it DID tear the deodorant can, and it DID spray me!

Nah, I'm totally lying, sorry if I had anyone excited. I didn't actually break the filament. I was scared to knock too hard, because I only wanted to break the filament, not the glass. And I was also nervous that someone would walk into the bathroom at any moment to see an arm reaching above a cubicle, tapping a light bulb with a deodorant can. Actually, I shouldn't have worried about that at all, that would be one of the most awesome, bizarre things to walk in on. So, I didn't really do the task. AGAIN! I'm pathetic this week. To be fair though, they were energy-saving light bulbs. And surely, to destroy something that does it's best to save energy would actually be quite regressive in an attempt to save the world?

No comments:

Post a Comment